Jane Eyre: Swooning


    My classic for the month of February, never you mind that I’m just getting to this post now, was Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. 

This cover caught my eye in a bookstore more than a year ago, which is one of the reasons I picked this as my classic.

    Goodreads description: 


Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and  . . . from there a story . . . transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed. With a heroine full of yearning, the dangerous secrets she encounters, and the choices she finally makes, Charlotte Bronte's innovative and enduring romantic novel continues to engage and provoke readers.


    Alright y’all after sludging through classic after classic (okay, okay, one or two books) that weren’t all that amazing, I have finally found a classic that I’m in love with. Do you hear me?! IN LOVE WITH! Literally, this book made me swoon, but it also made me so angry with the heroine that I just stopped reading the book all together for a couple of days. But more importantly and as one fellow Goodreader said, it made me want to bang Mr. Rochester like a screen door. I don’t know what it was about his character, but I fell for this fictitious man and fell hard. 


    So, what exactly else did I love about this novel? Well, here’s a fun fact about me, I love tragic love, the more heartbreaking the better. There is just something about lovers who desperately want each other and have obstacles to overcome that makes my heart skip a beat. I suppose that’s part of the allure of every vampire series, you always have two people who are so in lust love with one another but their very nature dictates that they should be apart. Same goes for love triangles. Give me two men in love with the same woman any day, ahhhh what’s more tragic than watching the woman you love with another man? And this is exactly why I love Vampire Diaries and True Blood, poor Erik and Damon! So, obviously Jane Eyre fits into this category and is heart wrenching. Parts of this book had me sobbing. On trains. Full of people. But I loved that about it, I mean here is this love story that was published in 1847 and it still has the power to break my heart today.


    What I didn’t love was some of the religious reasoning that Jane used when making certain choices. Look I get it, you have religious beliefs and morals and all that jazz, but we’re talking about true love here!!! When you read it you’ll see what I mean and man alive did those parts really chap my ass. The only other downside of the story was that the middle of the book had parts that kind of lagged but just so you know, the story more than made up for it. 


    Bottom line, if you want to expand your horizons by reading something more cultural than the Twilight series, and you should, read this book. Truly, for the first time I understand why this book is a classic and I’m so glad I ventured to read it. Oh, if you have a Kindle, or don’t have a Kindle but have an ipad, iphone, or itouch with the Kindle app you can download the novel for free. Eh? Talk about incentive!


    And onto the next, I recently finished the Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore by Joan Lowry Nixon and will be posting about it soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment