Jenny Pox: Avoid Her Like The Plague

Alright y’all I just finished Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, #1) by JL Bryan and it was amazeballs!




Goodreads description:                 

Eighteen-year-old Jenny Morton has a horrific secret: her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague, the "Jenny pox." She lives by a single rule: Never touch anyone. A lifetime of avoiding any physical contact with others has made her isolated and painfully lonely in her small rural town.

Then she meets the one boy she can touch. Jenny feels herself falling for Seth...but if she's going to be with him, Jenny must learn to use the deadly pox inside her to confront his ruthless and manipulative girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.


Ahhh Jenny Mittens! Who doesn’t feel for a girl who’s forced into wearing gloves year around so she doesn’t accidentally kill people? So being a book blogger myself, I like to keep up with the book blogging community and, people let me tell you: the community is talking about this bloody book! At first, I was a little skeptical about it because a lot of bloggers seem real keen on only reading paranormal romances, regardless of their literary value. Leaving me to worry that this would just be another weird, YA love story. But like I said, it seemed like every site I went on was raving about Jenny Pox so I decided to give it a try. Well that, and Amazon was and is offering the book free of charge for the Kindle. The whole free thing really helped make up my mind.

Luckily, it turns out the book blogging community was right on point with how good this book seriously is. First off, the author doesn’t make the mistake (depending on who you ask because apparently tons of adults are oddly addicted to teen love triangles) of only focusing on the budding relationship of Seth and Jenny. There is more, much more, to the story and, since I was reading it on the Kindle, every time I thought the author was getting ready to conclude his story he would surprise me with another twist that contributed to the depth of this already super intriguing story. Not only that this book was much more adult (read: has some sexy time) than I originally expected it would be and I loved it! Trust me half way through the book you’ll be like “Oh my gooodnesss!!

I also loved that Bryan took the paranormal aspect of the story into the horror genre, think Carrie. Parts of the book were eerie, gross, and other parts were downright scary. Bryan does not shy away from describing how powerful Jenny’s curse can be. I think the best part about it was that I wasn’t expecting the story to go in this direction and when it did I was like “Child, no you are not going to have those characters get all dark and twisty” but then he did and I loved him for it. Except when I was eating lunch, then I did not love him for it. Not one bit.

My only criticism, and it really isn’t a big one, is that during the latter part of the story things escalated way too rapidly. You’ll see, one minute we’re talking small potatoes and then boom it’s the end of world. I guess I just would have appreciated a more gradual lead in, but again, it really wasn’t that big of a deal.
Bottom line: Read this book! It’s part of a series (aren’t they all now?) and I plan on reading the rest of them sometime soon. You know, after I get to all of the other books I keep meaning to read.
Next up: Book club was at my house last month and we read Lev Grossman’s The Magicians.

0 comments:

Post a Comment